Tuesday 4 October 2011

The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello - (2005)

A 100+ word small essay

This "short film" was created in 2005, and has been nominated for a big academy award. The making of this film is a form of "stop-motion" where silhouettes of figurines and such are filmed which makes them darker than the rest of the scenes they are in. That silhouetting effect also adds to sense of gloomy, terror and darkness. The whole movie is pretty much shot in a cinematic sepia range of colours. I'm not sure if that was choice or if it was the only way because I haven't seen anything quite like this myself before. The film also appears quite jolty when it comes to the characters-figurines. This is a side effect of silhouetting them but I feel it also adds to the effect the film has. The film’s title is also known as "The World of Jasper Morello". In my opinion, all of these effects and methods of creating the short film work fantastically, and I haven’t seen anything quite like it personally.


Poster for the short film


No comments:

Post a Comment